2005-08-09

the attack of the tomato horn worm

Tomato%20Hornworm
so i looked out my window today and notice something a little different. there seemed to be many leaves missing from the top of the tomato plants. i went out for a closer look and realized that there was a servere infestation of those gross weird worms. les and i had spotted them a couple days earlier and i had poked one and it makes this really weird clicking noise.... scarey. in fact i believe les freaked out a bit.

if you know me, you would know that not much grosses me out, but these worms give me the willies. but they were going to destroy the tomatoes, since there was like 10 of them. so i did what any person would do, i grabed an oven mitt and a pair of scissors and started cutting them off the bush.... but what to do with them? so i pilled them on my deck leaving the decision of what to do for a later time. after i had removed all i could see i had this small pile of really disgusting worms on my deck clicking away and bobbing their heads. i know people who squish them... but they seemed really juicey so i couldn't do that. so i got a bucket and i filled it with water and i attempted to drown them. well those little suckers started fighting each other and bitting and there was gross green juice going everywhere!! and they wouldn't die... like 3 finally kicked the bucket but the rest wouldn't die!!! eventually i took them to the forest and dumped them out.

the worst part of it is that i know they aren't all gone and that they are living outside my window!! ewwww, save me... (officially acting like a girl right now, i'm so grossed out)

5 comments:

T said...

ummm...what did you do with manda? please bring her back...yes....even the moocher one

L.Bo Marie said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
I've got the heebie jeebies!
seriously, not just a little freaked out.. I believe I ran in terror!

Amanda said...

i resent the moocher comment... some people just know that you don't get anywhere without asking... its not my fault that people give in.... i'm not a moocher.

Anonymous said...

I have never been mooched from manda, who'da thunk it our outdoorsey live in the wild with skeeters and other buggies would have such an issue with a small squishy little wormy? (I would too they are so gross and really mean to the tomatoes that I love)
I knew she was really a girl in there and there had to be something to force her out!

Anonymous said...

Today I went to the garden and picked and squished at least 2 dozen tomato hornworm. I'm not exagerating. I've never seen so many in my life let alone at one time in the same location.