2005-08-18

all boxed in

i was chatting with a friend today and we realized how backwards living in a small town is. if i currently lived in a larger area i would be considered "normal". i know this is hard for many people to think that i would be the epitamy of "normal" but you can stretch the definition a little.

1. if i lived in a larger city it would be "normal" and expected that at 23 i would be single, and not dating. i would be abnormal to be married with children at this age.

2.if i lived in a larger city my choice in clothing (aka my love for dumb t-shirts) would not only be "normal" but maybe even boring. if i wore clothes for one of the big chain stores that may be abnormal as everyone is trying to look so different that looking like someone else would be weird.

3.if i lived in a larger city it would not be abnormal for me to have at least 2 jobs, and be going to school. since i have a job and am going to school (yes, again) in the fall, and thinking of volunteering i would be "normal".

4.if i live in a larger city it would be "normal" to my non-christian friends that i don't want to party or sleep around and take part in the hickish things that only go on in a small town.

see, i can be normal, but then i don't think i would want to be seen as normal in a city, nor be normal in a small town. really i just want to be me. so please people stop putting your idea of normal on me (and i'm not pointing fingers, just feeling pressured but small town living). and yes its funny that people always try to set me up (which has never even come close even materializing into a date) but really i'm just figuring it all out and waiting for God to mold me into who he wants me to be. and for this reason, i am not content, and learning, and enjoying all that is in front of me.

4 comments:

L.Bo Marie said...

man, why DO people keep just threatening us? why don't they follow thru??? where are these so called "BLIND DATES"? - I like seeing eye dogs.
Boi

T said...

manda...i don't think you and normal go together...but tht'as ok...cuz we love you for you being...well you

Amanda said...

thanks t, i really appreciate that, and i'll never stop being me no matter what... aren't you lucky?

Crilly said...

I guess 'normal' is relative depending on where you are. I think the difference between big cites and small towns is that in the city there is no 'normal'. The different lifestles (young and single, school and work, etc.) are just more readily accepted. It's in the towns that people try to define the normal that most people don't fit into.
So I guess what I'm saying, is don't worry about the people striving to be normal, they're just setting themselves up to fail anyways. We all know I'm the only normal one here.